PDA

View Full Version : The N-Gage Will Rise Again

wraggster
August 28th, 2007, 22:37
via slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/28/1627249)

The New York Times has an article up this week talking about Nokia's third attempt to get their N-Gage brand into the minds of gamers. This time it's a service, not a device, and the company is betting that branding mobile games will be a better tactic than their previous attempts.
"The Ideo and Nokia executives concluded that users mainly want to play against their friends and, at the very least, they want to know the skill level of their opponents. As a result, the new N-Gage permits users to see what games their friends have on their phones and whether they are online. They can also see how many points a person has earned in the game, as well as how much time they devote to solitary play versus group play. The researchers also asked players what their greatest frustrations were. High on the list was buying a game that turned out to be disappointing. In the new N-Gage service, customers will be able to sample games free before buying them. The selection will lean toward the casual side of gaming, with soccer and fishing titles and the popular puzzle game Bejeweled, among others. Nokia has not yet discussed prices."

-Xandu-
August 28th, 2007, 22:45
..and will fail. Again.

ICE
August 28th, 2007, 23:02
lol wait.. again? as in for the second time? did i miss something?

devdj
August 28th, 2007, 23:17
this new n-gage will probably be like the apple i-phone a total failure

bowmessage
August 29th, 2007, 00:13
this new n-gage will probably be like the apple i-phone a total failure

I hope thats sarcasm O.o

the iphone has some nice homebrew, and is selling a lot anyways XD.

JKKDARK
August 29th, 2007, 00:40
I hope it gets success

ish420ism
August 29th, 2007, 02:24
The AgaiNGAGE
I would like to see the specs. I'm very happy with my first gen ngage. I'll probably get this phone as an upgrade.
I've seen some next gen phone games and some look very prommising. Even on t.v. out mode. A good switch if you think lugging around a heavy psp is too much.

mat_dizzy
August 29th, 2007, 09:34
The only things that will make this good are

. Bigger Selection Of Games
. Nicer Design
. Graphics/Playability to compete with the PSP and DS
. Wifi Game Multiplayer
. Wifi Browser
. Bigger Screen
. More Comfortable Controls
. Better DPAD

And Xandu - So True! :)

arcadekidflo
August 29th, 2007, 09:56
"This time it's a service, not a device"
From this phrase i get that there won't be a new phone but "n-gage " will be a game download service for the N-series phones . So, no new ngage phone ?

ish420ism
August 31st, 2007, 03:12
"This time it's a service, not a device"
From this phrase i get that there won't be a new phone but "n-gage " will be a game download service for the N-series phones . So, no new ngage phone ?

I think you are correct. The Ngage will not be limited to one model of phone

arcadekidflo
August 31st, 2007, 06:03
And i still haven't figured it out if there will be also a new phone branded n-gage, with d=pad and all :)
I found this on the net, could it be real ?
http://imgbolt.com/public/thumb_46d7a0ec68289492350563.jpg (http://imgbolt.com/public/pview/18464/nextgen21md.jpg)

wiggy fuzz
October 18th, 2007, 12:51
putting ngage on nokia smartphones is suicidally dim witted, the ngage held like a gameboy advance, good for shooters and racers. playing FPS's on an interface where the d-pad is above the numbers... now that's just awkward

makes the original xbox controller seem managable

Kojote
October 19th, 2007, 00:11
i've tried the ngage once in my life and never ever again - this piece is far from acceptable to play games.

if the n-gage rises again... then they can rise the gizmondo too LOL :D - both will fail fail fail! (this is my personal opinion)

quzar
October 19th, 2007, 04:51
putting ngage on nokia smartphones is suicidally dim witted, the ngage held like a gameboy advance, good for shooters and racers. playing FPS's on an interface where the d-pad is above the numbers... now that's just awkward

makes the original xbox controller seem managable

I use a Nokia 6600 as my main phone, which is hackable to play N*Gage games because it uses the same internal hardware (but it's not a taco).

For cellphone games, until recently, these were leaps and bounds above any others. I still play Monkey Ball, Puyo Pop, and Rayman 2 relatively frequently.