Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E3 2006: PS1 Emulation on PSP

Blog Entries

psp E3 2006: PS1 Emulation on PSP

Via IGN:

Sony Computer Entertainment's first console is coming roaring back, this time in portable form. SCE announced earlier that it would be featuring downloadable PS1 games for its PlayStation portable system, and in a test station here on the show floor, the company showed off Namco's PS1 game Ridge Racer playable on the portable.

Ridge Racer was a good choice to show on PSP, because it's one of the most visually-impressive and yet simple to control games on the PlayStation 1. And "simple to control" is key here, because several questions are still left unanswered with this demo. Chiefly, how will PSP cope with the lack of a second set of trigger buttons? It's possible that SCE and developers may be able to map one set of the triggers to the D-Pad when using the analog nub, but since the Ridge Racer demo didn't use both buttons, it's unknown how that'll work. In fact, it's unknown in general how emulation interfacing will work -- as demonstrated by the Pre-E3 demo by SCE, the PS1 demos on PSP boot straight to the game after download (although it's possible that there will be an option outside of the boot menu before the game starts.) Once in the PS1 game, it's a PS1 game -- the select and start buttons do what they did on PS1, and the only buttons that you can interface PSP-style are the volume, screen, and home buttons. Games made for the emulator from PS1 will be carefully remapped to the PSP controller to make the most of the system. On the start menu, when you go to controller options, you see the ancient PS1 white controller, pre-DualShock. Interestingly enough, the analog nub didn't work at all in the demo -- we're not sure if this is because the real PS1 game didn't have analog (although that should be an easy thing to cheat onto the stick), or because we were not able to find the analog switch-on feature, or if the feature is just not implemented yet.

Whatever the control system, the emulation was clear and nice. Framerate was not at all a problem for the advanced little portable, running Ridge Racer at full speed. Textures were sharp, possibly with some texture smoothing (road signs were perfectly readable.) The boxy textures of the old system were not nearly as much an issue as we expected, with flag girl Reiko looking like a dream all these years later. Color depth was incredibly rich thanks to the PSP's mondo screen, and aside from some graininess (which may be inherent in the PS1 original ... it's been a while since we've played this oldie), the game looked colorful and speedy. Using the PSP's screen button, you can change the aspect ratio while still at full play, between PS1 res, full res (scaled up to the PSP's boarders but not stretched beyond that), and widescreen (a full stretch to widescreen.) The full res option was probably the best way to play, with little issue in blowing up these low-res textures since the screen is so small; widescreen, meanwhile, should probably be avoided, since it stretches things obscenely, makes text look soft, and overall loses the good look of the emulated game.

Ridge Racer was the only game playable in PS1 emulation on PSP, so we still have a lot of questions and concerns for the feature, but as far as performance, the PSP looks to have no problem running its forerunner. Look for more PS1-to-PSP emulation soon.

True Emulation fans will also remember that Ridge Racer ran on the PSone Emulator for PC Called PSEmu pro and the size of the rom was only 2.5mb.

Interesting times ahead for this new commercial emulator - Unless someone ports a killer PSOne emulator to the PSP

Yay, I can't wait to pay for games that I already own.

Wait, thats basically what I'm doing with my psp playing ps2 ports.

*sigh*

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is not the question, unless someone hacks the frimware that has the PSOne emu on it!!!!!!!!

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

Not updating.
    Make that never.

DCEmu Newbie

not upgrading emulateur n64 as coming lol

DCEmu Rookie

For the chance to play thousands of games on the best console ever (IMO) I may actually upgrade....we'll see how well they implement it. Kinda sucks we have to buy the games again though!

Lets not forget about mapping the analog PS1 sticks as well. There were two of them (as if I needed to say it). Later games DID use them in some way.

The only way i'd even THINK of upgrading to play PS1 games is if They were

A. Free (I might even buy a second PSP)

B. Free if you own them (I may upgrade for MG Solid, the great Star Wars games and Crash Bandicoot [i'd buy] cuz i never played it... too old)

C. 10-30 on one buyable UMD (for $50) (I would definately have to think about it if i went to the store and found and AWSOME game pack)

So until Sony pulls their head out... I'm content with not buying ANY games that require past 2.00 and Emulating my PERFECTLY LEGAL, OWNED N64 games...

ah Zelda... I'm so glad i never gave you up..

*Rubs his Zelda: Ocarina of Time Cartridge while saying "my precious, my preciiouss"*

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Emeriastone
    Lets not forget about mapping the analog PS1 sticks as well. There were two of them (as if I needed to say it). Later games DID use them in some way.
    First person shooters... its the problem with the PSP... they just couldn't fit an extra analog stick on the side of the PSP... They can make a perfect emulator for the PSP in under week, with perfect speed, and ISO protection... But they just cannot fit another analog stick or allowed homebrew with ISO protection... nope... they just cannot... They admit it, they are not that bright...

yea n64 pwns the ps1

I won't upgrade, because after it's out someone will hack it for 1.5 LOL, PSP 1.5 FOREVER!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information