Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3

Blog Entries

ps3 Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3

YDL v5.0 is slated for release mid-November with support for the Sony PS3 first, and support for the former Apple PowerPC product line to follow. Any updates required to support the Apple PowerPC systems following the release for PS3 will be made available via a free download.

More Info -- > http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/pr...delivery.shtml

This is all that really matters for me for PS3. This is a dream come true and now we won't have to use that stupid XMB. Not to mention we can have ridiculous software and wow this completely opens up the usage of the PS3. Now we can put some emulators on it; the classics: SNES, NES, GB/GBC, GBA, Genisis, and maybe even some new ones: gamecube and xbox. This also makes it so we can put a LocationFree emulator on there if there isn't already LocationFree built into it and we can pretty much do whatever we want with the PS3 now. Now the PS3 to PSP connectivity won't just be limited to updated firmwares but we can incorporate it into homebrew also. This is the only thing that matters to me about PS3. Thank you Sony!!!

Hmm, I dont see any real linux users supporting this machine as it goes against everything the linux community stands for.. I'll let you figure that out.

I'm not sure I know what you mean but I think you're talking about the low key, select few kind of attitude that Linux is only for the "smart" people. If that's what you're talking about then I don't think that will be a problem as many PS3 fans and video game fans will support this and write new programs for it if necessary.

DCEmu Newbie

Default XBMC to PSMC

I would love to see the Xbox Media Cener (homebrew) ported to the PS3 through this linux....yum

Is yellow dog what it's shipping with or is the ps3 actually open to other distro's?
    Hopefully no more of that stupid RTE garbage that was PS2 linux!!
    EDIT:
    Hmmm....
    I guess you will be able to install it yourself.
    It is a good way to get linux into more homes.

I just have some questions that probably no one can answer but you can think about them. If you have Linux on board your PS3 does the XMB still coexist with it? If so then is it safe to upgrade to the latest firmware knowing that you can play any homebrew you want on Linux? Hopefully Linux has full access to the PS3's power and not just user mode or something.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Hopefully Linux has full access to the PS3's power and not just user mode or something.
    i doubt it will what would stop developers selling"ps3 linuxX" games with out paying anything to sony

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69
    i doubt it will what would stop developers selling"ps3 linuxX" games with out paying anything to sony
    Not all PS3's will have Linux and the games would not get as much advertisement if they were for Linux. They wouldn't be able to market their game as a PS3 game so people would get confused and not even give it a second thought.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mavsman4457
    Not all PS3's will have Linux and the games would not get as much advertisement if they were for Linux. They wouldn't be able to market their game as a PS3 game so people would get confused and not even give it a second thought.

you could say the same for dreamcast commerical homebrew, but only 10 million were made and are still being made/sold 5 years after its "death"... the ps3 would have a bigger market!

No, i'm pretty sure sony won't let that happen ( it would be sweet if they did)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information